The Way Forward initiative envisions a future where hospice palliative care is integrated throughout the community, across all settings of care, and available to Canadians no matter where they reside. It's a vision that is already underway in pockets across the country.
We want to make it a reality for all Canadians and we need your help to do it. Although funding for the three-year Way Forward initiative has ended, the work is ongoing. It is being championed by individuals and organizations across Canada. As governments, health professions and care settings implement and gain experience with the integrated palliative approach to care, they will share best practices and lessons learned. Action steps in the National Framework will continue to be refined by those implementing a palliative approach: the lessons they learn will inform others.
How can you get involved?
Who can participate?
- You are a health care professional and want to understand the implications of adopting an integrated palliative care approach.
- You are part of a health care leadership team and want to ensure the roadmap is practical, and can be implemented by your organization.
- You are a patient, or family member, and would like the road map to reflect your wishes.
- You are part of a regional health care organization or team, and have questions about the cost of an integrated palliative care approach.
- You are providing care in the home or in a long-term care setting and want to provide the best care possible until the end of life.
- You are concerned about improving the quality of life for aging Canadians and those faced with a life-threatening illness.
Together, we can work to create a new reality, where Canadians live well until the end of life.